Register now via StudOn until 14. April 2021!
Driven by the rising popularity of (video) games, technology, business and society are increasingly influenced and penetrated by games and trends of the gaming industry. One of the probably most important phenomena of this multi-faceted development is “gamification”, which addresses the use of design principles and features from games in information systems, process or service design.
Gamification’s popularity stems from the notion that games are a pinnacle form of hedonic information systems and thus are particularly effective in invoking intrinsic motivation and experiences such as autonomy, mastery, flow, immersion, relatedness and overall enjoyment. Across industries, marketers, designers and developers are thus using gamification as a design approach when engineering digital products and services with the purpose of inducing gameful experiences, influencing human motivation and even change behavior in various contexts.
- teaches the key concepts, design patterns, and approaches of motivational, hedonic (i.e. games and video games), social and gamified information systems.
- offers deep insights into advanced concepts and theoretical foundations of game design, motivational psychology, and information system design.
- introduces methods and frameworks for designing gamified systems and managing gamification projects.
- discusses latest research findings and the potential impact of gamification on society, economy and everyday life.
The course is complemented with a practical project, where students in a team select and apply design methods & techniques in order to create a prototype of a gamified / hedonic information system. Within this project the students can apply knowledge and skills acquired in this lecture and their studies in a challenging context. The results are presented towards peers and/or experts from research and/or industry.
Lecture + Capstone Project, 4 SWS, ECTS-Credits: 5
Thursday, 13:15-16:30 , Zoom-Meeting
WF IIS-MA 1 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
WF IIS-MA 2 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
WF IIS-MA 3 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
WF IIS-MA 4 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
WF WING-MA ab 1 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
WF ICT-MA ab 1 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
WF EEI-MA ab 1 (ECTS-Credits: 5)
07. February 2021, 14:00 – 14. April 2021, 12:00 via StudOn.
More details on course updates, materials, technical requirements, and other information will be announced in StudOn.
Keywords: Gamification, Interactive Information Systems, HCI, Customer Engagement, Social Computing, Hedonic Systems, Games