Gamification in the team sports of Football
In cooperation with adidas, we want to improve training and performance diagnostics in football through innovative gamification approaches. For this, we explore the impact of different gamification features using an existing adidas platform and wearable devices.
- Design and development of different gamification features
- Evaluation of developed gamification features with regard to sociopsychological dynamics in the team and effects on the behavior of the football players
- Derive design recommendations and principles for gamification in team sports based on the results of field experiments
Sandra Birnstiel, Siao Fang Chen, Gerrit Sußner
Designing and understanding the effects of gamified VR training on human-robot teaming
In cooperation with Schaeffler, we investigate how gameful design can be used in virtual reality trainings for improving human-robot interaction. The project aims to develop and explore different design interventions to support and optimize collaboration in human-robot teaming.
- Structuring the knowledge of research on human-robot interaction, i.e., gamification of human-robot interaction
- Developing design interventions to support collaboration of humans and robots in a virtual reality training
- Investigation of the impact of gameful design on users’ perception and behavior
Revival of MUDs – Designing a text-based adventure game that helps children learn handwriting
In collaboration with STABILO International GmbH, we develop a text-based adventure for the STABILO DigiPen. Our aim is to transform learning and optimization of handwriting into a “gameful” and engaging experience by using design principles of multi-user dungeons (MUDs).
- Development and empirical investigation of a text-based adventure game for the STABILO DigiPen
- Investigation of the impact of various design interventions on user behaviour and AI-based gesture recognition
- Derivation of theoretical and practical recommendations for designing gamification and serious game approaches to optimize handwriting
Gamifying the human-AI interaction
Can digital games and their design principles improve the collaboration between humans and artificial intelligence (AI)? Funded by FAU’s Emerging Talents Initiative (ETI), we are investigating how game design principles can help to optimise human-AI teaming.
- Investigation of cooperation in games and derivation of design principles
- Investigation of the collaboration between humans and non-player characters (NPCs) in games and derivation of insights into designing more effective human-AI collaboration
- Conducting studies on the gamification of human-AI collaboration
Maximilian Wittmann, Sujit Thapa
Game-based solutions for logistics
In cooperation with the Lidl Stiftung & Co. KG we investigate how gamification can be applied in inbound logistics. The aim of the project is the development, piloting and evaluation of a gamification concept for use in a modern digital logistics center.
- Structuring of the current body of knwodlege of research on gamification in logistics
- Development of a gamification concept with the active involvement of relevant stakeholders based on the method of Morschheuser et al. (2018)
- Implementation and evaluation of the effectiveness of gamification approaches in inbound logistics
More details on our previous research will follow soon. In the meantime, please see our publications.