The course deals with the theory, design, and development of exergames. In the course, students will be provided with theoretical game-design and gamification foundations and work in small groups to realize working exergame prototypes.
Sample topics of the theoretical discussions may include:
– Cyber Rehabilitation
– Game Design
Exemplary project themes could be:
– Location-based exergames that combine AR technologies with, sports and POIs in real world
– Designing exergames for patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment
– Designing gamified nature-based therapy approaches
– VR supported rehabilitation procedures for patients with motor impairments
The course is designed in an interactive format. Based on initial discussions, students research, design, develop, and evaluate solutions in the form of projects and studies in small groups following user-centered design and agile software engineering principles. Intermediate presentations of the project group members take place at regular intervals.
By participating in the module, students
- can explain the application of Serious Games and Exergames in the context of health.
- are able to understand the technical and theoretical foundations of interdisciplinary interfaces between games and health.
- are able to apply this basic knowledge to conceptualize methodical solutions and empirical studies with various tools.
- are able to interpret empirical findings from the literature in this field.
- they are able to apply game technologies for use cases in health, create applications, and collect empirical data based on learned methods.
- can implement software development projects in practice-oriented contexts.
- can apply fundamental project management principles, organize themselves in groups, work toward specific goals and consider relevant stakeholder needs.
Prof. Dr. Daniel Roth (Human-Centered Computing and Extended Reality)
Prof. Dr. Benedikt Morschheuser (Assistant Professorship of Information Systems – Gamification)
Lecture + Open Lab Sessions, 4 SWS, ECTS-Credits: 5
Thursday, 10:15-11:45 , Zoom-Meeting
Master International Information Systems (from 2018/19): Module in the section Information Systems – Architectures & Development (Elective)
Master International Information Systems (from 2016/17): Module in the section Information Systems – Extension Courses (Elective)
Master Medical Engineering (Medizintechnik)
Master Computer Science (Informatik)
01. September 2021 – 08. October 2021, 12:00 via StudOn.
More details on course updates, materials, technical requirements, and other information will be announced in StudOn.